It dates back to the 1st century B.C. It is probably the residential settlement intended for a broader and more important rural exploitation of northern Italy, and was continuously inhabited until the middle of the 4th century A.D. In the Villa there is a manor area, a wide production area, roman baths and kitchens. The excavations started in the 1938 have returned a residential-productive complex of more than 3500m². An ecological rebalancing area surrounds the Villa Romana, with a hygrophilous wood and a perennial pond, spread over 13 hectares within an exhausted clay quarry, which houses a very large number of plant species, some of which reintroduced on the basis of what were native species of the Paduan forest. The fauna of the area is characterized by the presence of bats, reptiles and amphibians. The area also attracts numerous species of migratory birds.
Palace of San Giacomo
It rises about 2 Km from the city center among the bank of the Lamone river. The Palace was erected by the Counts Rasponi, nobles from Ravenna, and was conceived as a sumptuous country residence, luxuriously decorated, especially on the noble floor, with mythological and allegorical frescoes by Cesare Pronti (1626 – 1708) and by the Scuola dei Barbiani (XVII century). This is the largest pictorial cycle of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in Romagna. In 1757 the external chapel was added, then restored by Cosimo Morelli (1732-1812). The Palace is now owned by the Municipality of Russi and recovery interventions are in progress, while weddings are often held in the Chapel.
San Pancrazio Pieve
It rises in the homonymous village about four kilometers from Russi It’s probably the first pieve built in the municipal area: tradition has it that it was founded in the 5th century A.D. by direct involvement of the Galla Placidia. It is in fact mentioned in a very important document dating to the year 963 which lists all the Romagna parish churches.
Set up in the fortress of the ancient “castrum”, in Piazza Farini, it houses a collection of finds from the Roman Villa, the archival collection dedicated to Alfredo Baccarini, the city’s art collection.
Santo Stefano in Tegurio
It rises in the hamlet of Godo, five kilometers from Russi. The documents attest to its existence already from the second half of the tenth century, even if it was certainly founded earlier. Its structure had a basilical structure, with three naves, and had an irregular shape, modified by the restoration immediately after the Second World War.